Building a new home or business? Renovating and upgrading your electrical service?
Our Technical Service Layout process walks you through the requirements for connections, rolls and responsibilities and establishes the point of connection for the service.
To get started, complete our Application for Electrical Service Form.
We recommend that you apply early. Depending on the requirements of your service, the process can take several weeks.
If you have questions about the process before you apply, please contact our Engineering Department at 519-853-3700 x213 for a free consultation.
Standard Services Offered
All new services shall be rated a minimum 200A up to the demarcation point. HHHI’s standard voltage offerings are:
- 120/240V (single phase)
- 120/208V or 600/347V (three phase, four wire)
All new, upgraded, or modified services shall be installed as per HHH’s Conditions of Service.
Technical Service Layout Process:
- Complete the Application for Electrical Service Form to begin the Technical Service Layout Process.
- Pay the appropriate Service Layout Fees. Fees can be paid online: Pay Online Now or by calling 519-853-3700 x211.
- Residential: $333.98
- Commercial/ Industrial: $838.41
- Once payment is received, an Engineering Technician will contact you within 10 business days to discuss your request and set up a site meeting if required.
- You will receive an Offer to Connect and Layout (site drawings) along with specifications and connection requirements within about 60 days following HHHI having received all necessary information for the service.
- The Offer to Connect will show the Connection Fees required to complete the work.
- Sign and return the Offer to Connect along with payment of the Connection fee.
- If the application is for a new electrical service, the applicant will receive an electricity account application. This form is to be completed by the customer who will pay the electricity bill at the address.
- The applicant’s qualified electrical contractor will perform their work and have the Electrical Safety Authority Inspect the work on the customers’ side of the demarcation point. HHHI will require a Connection Authorization for any service connection.
- For most residential service upgrades, connection can be coordinated by calling Halton Hills Hydro’s Engineering Clerk at Ext. 213.
- Where construction is required, such as a service trench, pole or anchor installation, or transformer installation the applicant or their contractor should be coordinating their project with HHH’s Engineering Technician that prepared the Technical Service Layout.
- Depending on the type of work being completed, HHHI inspections may be required. This will be communicated to you as part of the Offer to Connect.
- Once ESA Connection Authorization is completed, HHHI will schedule work to complete the connection. This is typically scheduled within 5 business days of receiving the Connection Authorization.
Some services may require a new transformer. Transformer ordering can take 16-20 weeks.
HHHI only orders transformers once the Connection Fees have been paid.
Information Needed to Apply
When applying for a Technical Service Layout please have the following information ready:
- Applicant’s name, address, phone numbers, email.
- Type of service layout requested (residential/ commercial).
- Type of request: new service, service upgrade, or temporary service.
- Service size (amperage) and secondary voltage (120/240V, 120/208V, 600/347V) needs.
- Site drawings.
- Electrical equipment drawings, equipment ratings, Single Line Diagram, demand load calculations (commercial applications).
Applicants should note that HHHI has specific limitations on the size of transformer that we will supply and connect to our distribution system. Applicants will be required to supply and install their own transformation and related equipment when:
- The applicant requires greater than 300kVA of transformation where the distribution feeders voltage 4160GrdY/2400V or 8320GrdY/4800V. The applicant will be connected to HHHI’s 44kV sub-transmission system.
- Where an applicant requires greater than 1500kVA of transformation when connecting to the 27600GrdY/16000V distribution system.
To review HHHI’s demarcation points please review appendix C in our Conditions of Service. A demarcation point is the point where ownership of assets changes from the utility to the customer.